Bookmark and Share

Christ In Pogo Fellowship Ministry

We all need the affirmation of others and thus our faith can be strengthened through the bonds of love, caring and fellowship that have developed through this ministry. Basic spiritual and human values are shared together and subsequent friendships develop. Thank You Father for our brothers and sisters!

*Insert Awesome Forum Name Here*
March 29, 2024, 06:31:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Welcome to the 'Christ In Pogo' Fellowship Ministry Message Boards!  Please feel free to add new topics.  The New Topic button is found on the top right of the page on each of the boards.  And please feel free to reply to the posts already made!  We love the fellowship and value your ideas and input. Guests may read almost all boards but must first register to be able to post. To join us, fill in the short form located on the website at www.christinpogo.com/contact.htm  Our goal is to spread the Word of Christ with love and understanding.  We hope you make 'Christ In Pogo' your home and we look forward to knowing each and every one of you. 
God Is Blessing Us!  Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Have You Ever Been Slain In The Spirit?

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have You Ever Been Slain In The Spirit?  (Read 393 times)
tervana1

« on: May 16, 2008, 05:14:56 pm »

Hi guys,  Smiley

Just curious if any of you have been slain in the spirit. If you have...how did you feel?  I have been several times and I felt different emotions each time. Tears flowing once, peaceful many times and shaking like crazy another time. Let us know your experiences.  smitten

Your sis,
terri
Report Spam   Logged

"HE PERFORMS WONDERS THAT CANNOT BE FATHOMED, MIRACLES THAT CANNOT BE NUMBERED" 
Job 9:10

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Hesmyfriend2

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

Not sure what this is. Is it something like you see on tv where it looks like they are pushed over? If so, nope, never had that but never been anywhere they do that.
Sugar
Report Spam   Logged
WingzOfPrayerP
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:19:30 am »

When I was 14 I went to a midweek service and afterwards teenagers were being prayed for to receive the Holy Spirit. Nothing happened to me that night and I went home thinking God hadn't noticed me. That Sunday I was at the alter praying.....over in the corner as I didn't want others to notice if God didn't talk to me.......as I was standing there focused on God something beautiful happened. I felt a warmth and saw a light so bright and beautiful it was hard to keep my eyes opened. (Later they told me I fell to the floor and it looked like someone caught me and lowered me gently but no one was there) I saw such beautiful colors...felt things I still can't explain. I wanted to stay there......I know Jesus was there with me holding me and telling me things were gonna be ok. Oh I wanted to stay there with Jesus forever but sadly I came back. I came to on the floor and the church was nearly empty. In my ignorance I thought God was upset with me and Jesus showed me how much He loved me. Awesome awesome time.
Report Spam   Logged
tervana1

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:23:45 pm »

Awww Wingz, bless your heart. I have no doubt you were in the midst of the Lord. Amen sis! I believe in being slain in the Spirit as I said before but I also believe there are many pastors, some very well known, that use this phenomina to their advantage. We shouldn't let just anyone lay hands on us unless we are certain they are true men and women of God.

Sugar I found an article you may enjoy. It will explain it much much better than I can.

love, terri

Being "slain in the Spirit" is a topic that has seen a lot of debate among Christians, but it seems to me that there is more to this issue than many people might realize.

Consider that if God were to suddenly open us up and expose us to His infinite glory and majesty, none of us could handle it. It would completely overwhelm us and overpower us. Our systems might shut down at the enormity of it, and we wouldn't be able to stand up under it or bear it. God is so much bigger than any of us are capable of comprehending, and God is probably protecting us by not revealing the fullness of Himself to us while we are in our weak, mortal bodies. So when the awesome power of God touches a person in a special way, it can easily cause a physical reaction in the frail human body and the frail human nervous system. People's hands or bodies might shake, their knees might get weak or wobbly, they might fall to the ground, and so on. Those who have never experienced the Holy Spirit in such a tangible way might think that a person is faking this or is demonized or something, which can sometimes be the case. However, the power of God is real, and God sometimes "touches" people in special ways. Here are some examples:

When God created Eve, He first caused Adam to go into a deep sleep: "So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh." (Genesis 2:21) Adam's body physically reacted (by falling into a deep sleep) when God manifested His power.

When God made a covenant with Abram (later to be known as Abraham), God apparently caused Abram to go into a deep sleep: "As the sun was setting, Abram fell into a deep sleep, and a thick and dreadful darkness came over him. Then the LORD said to him, "Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years."" (Genesis 15:12-13)
This doesn't sound like it was very pleasant for Abram, but the point is that Abram's body physically reacted (by falling into a deep sleep) when God manifested His power, just as Adam's body did.

God also put King Saul and his men into a deep sleep: "So David took the spear and water jug near Saul's head, and they left. No one saw or knew about it, nor did anyone wake up. They were all sleeping, because the LORD had put them into a deep sleep." (1 Samuel 26:12) The bodies of King Saul and his men physically reacted (by falling into a deep sleep) when God manifested His power, just as Adam's and Abram's bodies did.

When the guards at Jesus' tomb saw the glory of God which was revealed in the actions of an angel of the Lord, they were so frightened that they shook and fell over:

"There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men." (Matthew 28:2-4) This wasn't a pleasant experience for the guards, but the point is that their bodies had a physical reaction at the manifested glory of God, and they fell down "like dead men."

When Judas led the soldiers to Jesus so that they could arrest Him, Jesus confirmed His identity by using the divine expression, "I AM" (as in Exodus 3:13-14: "Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'""). The soldiers and Pharisees physically reacted to this pronouncement of Jesus' glory by falling to the ground:
"So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?" "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground." (John 18:3-6)
The NIV has "I am he" in this passage, but the word "he" is not in the original Greek (which is why other translations of the Bible such as the NASB  and Young's Literal Translation  have the word "he" in brackets in this passage). As you can see if you look in a Greek/English version of the Bible (check your local Christian bookstore), what Jesus actually said was, "I AM."

Here's what a couple of well-known Bible commentaries say about this passage:
"Fell to the ground (epesan camai). Second aorist active indicative of pipto with first aorist ending (-an). This recoil made them stumble. But why did they step back? Was it the former claim of Jesus (I am, ego eimi) to be on an equality with God (John 8:58; John 13:19) or mere embarrassment and confusion or supernatural power exerted by Jesus?" (Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament )

"[They were] struck down by a power such as that which smote Saul of Tarsus and his companions to the earth (Acts 26:14). It was the glorious effulgence of the majesty of Christ which overpowered them." (Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary )

So why did the soldiers and the Pharisees recoil or "draw back" when Jesus said, "I AM"? After all, if they had come for Peter then it is doubtful that they would have recoiled in that way when Peter identified himself. Somehow there was divine power or glory involved when Jesus said, "I AM," and the soldiers and Pharisees physically reacted to that manifestation of God's glory by recoiling or stepping backwards. Perhaps that caused them to stumble and fall, or perhaps it was the glory of God itself which caused them to fall.

When Jesus revealed Himself to Saul of Tarsus (later to be known as the apostle Paul) and his companions, it caused them to fall to the ground: "About noon, O king, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions. We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, 'Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'" (Acts 26:13-14)

The Bible says that Peter went into a trance when God was about to give him a vision:
"About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners." (Acts 10:9-11)
Peter had fallen into a trance, but what was his physical body doing while he was in this trance? Using modern terminology, perhaps a Christian who knew him would have said that he was "slain in the Spirit," or that he had "fallen out under the power of God" (or something equivalent).

The apostle Paul also fell into a trance when God was about to give him a vision:
"When I [Paul] returned to Jerusalem and was praying at the temple, I fell into a trance and saw the Lord speaking. 'Quick!' he said to me. 'Leave Jerusalem immediately, because they will not accept your testimony about me.'" (Acts 22:17-18)

Paul had fallen into a trance, but what was his physical body doing while he was in this trance? Using modern terminology, perhaps a Christian who knew him would have said that he was "slain in the Spirit," or that he had "fallen out under the power of God" (or something equivalent).

The apostle John said that he was "in the Spirit" when he was given visions of the future, which he wrote down in the book of Revelation:
"On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet" (Revelation 1:10)
What was John's physical body doing while he was "in the Spirit"? Using modern terminology, perhaps a Christian who knew him would have said that he was "slain in the Spirit," or that he had "fallen out under the power of God" (or something equivalent).

The apostle Paul was "caught up to the third heaven," and he didn't know if it was with or without his physical body:
"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know--God knows. And I know that this man--whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows--was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell. ... To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me." (2 Corinthians 12:2-4, 7)
Based on 2 Corinthians 12:7 (above), Bible teachers tend to believe that it was Paul himself who had been caught up to the third heaven. If Paul was not physically caught up into heaven then what was his body doing while he was experiencing heaven? Using modern terminology, perhaps a Christian who knew him would have said that he was "slain in the Spirit," or that he had "fallen out under the power of God" (or something equivalent).

Modern Christians who do not believe in being "slain in the Spirit" often say that the above Scripture passages are not meant to be normal experiences for Christians. But the point is that the frail human body can react by falling over or "going into a trance" or "going into a deep sleep" when the glory and majesty and power of God are manifested in some way. When the power of the Holy Spirit touches people who are standing up while receiving prayer, sometimes they fall to the ground. It would be out of balance to say that this should happen every time someone receives prayer, because it doesn't appear to have happened very often in the New Testament. But it would also be out of balance to say that this should never happen, because the above passages show that people can experience physical reactions at the manifested glory and power of God. 
Report Spam   Logged

honestwanderer

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:49:33 am »

Yes I have been slain in the Spirit, it was a restful time and can't really explain it fully.

Sugar, no it's not like some you watch on tv, it's a wonderful experiance.

Lyn
Report Spam   Logged

Never look down on anyone unless it's to help them up.
CanuckLynn
Administrator

Where God is, love is!

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:34:26 pm »

I sure have!  I was attending a Full Gospel church for their praise and worship evenings while attending my Baptist church for Sunday Services.  The Full Gospel church was being used for a wedding one evening so we met in a couples home instead.  They had invited a missionary couple to tell us about their missions trips in Jamaica.  I'd never been to a church before where folks were invited up to be prayed over and would then fall to the floor!  These missionaries showed us a film on this happening in Jamaica with them leading the service.  Most of the folks would be delivered from many things, usually ending up making horrible sounds and shaking, etc. 

I sat and watched as person after person went up to these missionaries to be prayed for.  Since I hadn't gone up, they invited me to join them.  What happened to me was very different from everyone else that had gone up!  In fact, it was a bit embarrassing!  When I fell backward, I was laughing uncontrollably and I continued to laugh while laying on the floor too!  I couldn't stop!  I heard the others around me starting to laugh with me!  lol It was such a wonderful feeling...you know, those uncontrollable laughing times where your tummy and face hurts?  Eventually I was able to calm myself down and get back to my seat! 

One of the gals came over to me and told me she'd asked the missionaries why I had laughed and others had been teary or completely silent.  She was told that the Holy Spirit in me was happy!  Wow!  I was blown away by that comment, never expecting that at all, but incredibly blessed to hear this revelation also!  I often think back to this time as I pray.  Praying that my relationship with God continues to make His Holy Spirit happy!

Thanks for asking this question Terri!  I always smile when I remember this time and feel so comforted!

love,
Georgie
Report Spam   Logged

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil- it has no point.

Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
WingzOfPrayerP
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 04:13:39 pm »

I agree Terri.......sometimes I know its the result of emotions, being pushed by some 'ministers' or because people 'expect' it to happen. There is a huge difference between that expericence and the real thing. When the Holy Spirit wants to do a particular work, of Jesus wants to show you something or God just wants to bless you He does it in such a beautiful comforting way. Laugter is great too Georgie......that happened to me once......I have no idea what was so funny........but I sure laughed.
Report Spam   Logged
Blainepyle88
Rep, Sgt. of Arms, & CEO.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:00:20 pm »

Yes I have been slain in the Spirit, it was a restful time and it's a wonderful experience.
Report Spam   Logged

Blaine E Pyle, Jr
Ljclaire

I Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 12:48:22 pm »

The first time I was ever slain in the spirit is when I was at Lakewood Church in Houston, Kenneth Hagan, the elder Kenneth was preaching.  My young daughter had chicken pox.  She was about 4 i think.  I went up with her to receive the healing for the chicken pox.  He barely touched my head in Jesus name and we both went down immediately.  My daughters chicken pox disappeared by the next day.  Since then I have been slain many many times.  Some are very peaceful and once the fire of the Lord was touching our congregation, last year, and I fell to the floor and shook.  You could feel the power of the Lord all over your body. 

Praise God.  None of us can stand in his glory.  I was praying and asking God to release his glory in our church I was at the alter praying and no one touched me.  In a split second I fell to my knees.  I felt a  touch on my right shoulder and a voice inside me saying, this is all you can handle of my glory. It knocked me to my knees as I trembled and shook and began crying. I knew God heard me and gave me the desires of my heart as much as I could handle.  Now I just thank him for his glory.  One day we will all stand in the presence of the Almighty God and be accountable to him.  I pray that we are ready.  Live a repentant life, acknowledge him in all you do, be a positive witness to those around you of Gods love.  Do what you can today for no one knows when our last breath will be.  Fear the Lord your God and reverence his holiness.  Ask him to cleanse you and keep you from all wickedness.  He does hear your prayers and will answer you as you seek him.  You will surely find him.  When the troubles in this world get too tough and you feel like giving up, GIVE THEM UP TO GOD.  HE IS WAITING FOR YOU TO GIVE THEM TO HIM.

So many times we feel unworthy or that God is too busy to hear us.  He is there and wants to hear from you.  When things go wrong in our lives and they will, run to God Look up and believe that he can bring you out of these things.  Trust in God with all your heart, he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Run to HIM.  Call out to HIM.  Trust in HIM.  Learn of HIM through his word.  If we are ever gonna learn how to depend on God we must get to know him. That is why it is so important to listen and read his word. The bible says to meditate on his word day and night.  This is how we get a close relationship with with him.  Pray and seek him.

God bless and keep you all, Laurie
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:51:36 pm by Ljclaire » Report Spam   Logged

II Chronicles 7:14 If my people who are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS; THEN  will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and heal their land.

Your sister in Christ,  Laurie
set59inky

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:48:07 am »

Yes I have been slain in the Spirit. The first time was a tent revival in Louisville, Kentucky. Warren Hunter was leading a two day revival. Having grown up Baptist I wasn't sure what to expect from a Pentecostal service. I must say it is an awesome experience to feel the Holy Spirit come over you,better than any high the human mind can imagine. It was a truly life changing experience. I got baptized that day and recommited my life publicly to Christ Jesus. Since joining The Church of God I have been slain in the spirit on numerous occasions.It is always totally awesome to experience this. I have witnessed some very amazing services since the summer of 2007,changing my life. We serve an awesome God. God Bless You all, Steve
Report Spam   Logged
tervana1

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:41:26 am »

Hallelujah Steve! Your church sounds amazing! The feeling of the Holy Spirit taking hold of your whole being is such a wonderful acknowlegment that God is with us! We have such a moving of the Spirit in our church that I feel like I'm going to topple over at any given moment. LOL I look forward to knowing you Steve. Please post often.  smitten

Your sis in Christ,
terri
Report Spam   Logged

itammy

God Bless You

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »

Yes I have...it was the funniest thing....I had gone to a ladies meeting with a friend and she wanted to go up for prayer and had ask me to go with her for support...so I did
anyway I was standing behind her when the pastor laid his hands on her and she went back..I reached up to catch her and they said that when her shirt hit my fingers I went down and landed on some stairs and she on top of me. (You know it is GOD when you hit your head on stairs and you are not hurt).  Next thing I knew I am lying in the floor crying and laughing ( I was no a crier)  I felt such a love, peace and happiness...it was one of the most awesome experiences I have every had.   Tammy
Report Spam   Logged

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength , they shall mount up on wings as eagles. Then shall run and not be weary,  they shall walk and not faint.   Isaiah 40:31
tervana1

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 11:49:34 am »

Woohooo Tammy. I know what you mean about not getting hurt. I have seen so many people fall, me included, and not even a sore muscle to show for it! The Power Of God.....Halleujah!

love,
terri
Report Spam   Logged

oldsweetp

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 03:52:45 pm »

yes I have.  I was at a Full Gospel meeting, and people were getting prayed for.  I went up and asked to be filled with the Holy Spirit.  I expected something to happen, but it was so awesomely like nothing I could imagine.  I felt such peace and love that I couldn't speak.  The feeling lasted for a couple of days and when it started to ease away I didn't want it to go.  I've had other experiences since that one, but they weren't as awe inspiring as that one.  Thank you so much for that memory!  smitten

God bless,
Phyllis
Report Spam   Logged
tervana1

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 12:01:12 pm »

How wonderful Phyllis! When the Holy Spirit moves He moves!  We never know when He is going to fall on us...lol  What is fun is when He comes on someone else and we get the fall out! My gosh...the incredible power of God!!!!

love,
terri
Report Spam   Logged

CanuckLynn
Administrator

Where God is, love is!

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 03:21:46 pm »

Amen!  We pray at work together when a new shift starts, and there is one gal I've grown quite close to there.  When she and I pray together, holding hands, we 'always' end up weak in the knees, filled to the top with the Holy Spirit with tears running down our cheeks!  Happy tears! 

Wonderful experience Phyllis!  I know what you mean by not wanting to move! 

love,
Georgie
Report Spam   Logged

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil- it has no point.

Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Buf1923

THE LORD IS MY REFUGE AND MY STRENGTH

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 09:51:49 am »

Yes I have been slain the Spirit,  What a great feeling for rest and love.  The first time  I knew that I went down and yet I couldn't move. I felt such peace and love and I began crying and whaling upon the Lord.  There has been a time where I was drunk in the Spirit.  Laughter over came me,  I and I could not get up off the floor,  I could sit and lay but trying to get up I ended up back on the floor.  I really think its a great feeling being the Spirit like that and having God move on you in such a way.  There is no fighting this,  I tried the very first time,  thinking this was a  hoax.  but I found it out not to be true,  that this was surly the Lord moving.   
Report Spam   Logged

Through Jesus Christ all things are possible.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: