Bookmark and Share

Christ In Pogo Fellowship Ministry

We all need the affirmation of others and thus our faith can be strengthened through the bonds of love, caring and fellowship that have developed through this ministry. Basic spiritual and human values are shared together and subsequent friendships develop. Thank You Father for our brothers and sisters!

*Insert Awesome Forum Name Here*
March 29, 2024, 06:10:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Welcome to the 'Christ In Pogo' Fellowship Ministry Message Boards!  Please feel free to add new topics.  The New Topic button is found on the top right of the page on each of the boards.  And please feel free to reply to the posts already made!  We love the fellowship and value your ideas and input. Guests may read almost all boards but must first register to be able to post. To join us, fill in the short form located on the website at www.christinpogo.com/contact.htm  Our goal is to spread the Word of Christ with love and understanding.  We hope you make 'Christ In Pogo' your home and we look forward to knowing each and every one of you. 
God Is Blessing Us!  Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Looking for a Scripture Verse

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Scripture Verse  (Read 179 times)
uoremom

« on: December 29, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »

Does anyone know where in scripture is says that we are not to associate with those who have chosen to walk/turn away from God?  I am having a discussion with my sister and have not been able to find this.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tervana1

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:54:11 am »

Hi Linda....Welcome to CIP sister!  smitten  I'm on my way out the door but will help in answering your question as soon as I get back. I'm sure the others have an answer for you too.  It's good to have you here girlfriend.  smitten

Your new sister in Christ,
terri
Report Spam   Logged

"HE PERFORMS WONDERS THAT CANNOT BE FATHOMED, MIRACLES THAT CANNOT BE NUMBERED" 
Job 9:10
kje123
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:53:52 pm »

Here's a couple of possibilities...Matthew 7:6; 10:14, and 2 Cor 6:14. Now the catch: none are probably applicable to your specific scenario. Even though we are not of the world, we are in the world. The best way to win someone to Christ is through the building of relationships. We are many times called to walk with those who do not walk with Christ, so that they might get to know Him through us. We need to be careful in how we walk with them, but casting someone aside that God wants you to share Him with is a greater crime than ignoring Christ. Fortunately the punishments are somewhat different. I hope this is helpful.

In His service,
Brian

PS: Welcome to CIP!
Report Spam   Logged

"When all else fails, read the instructions" 2 Timothy 3:16
uoremom

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:15 pm »

I should probably be a little more specific in why I am asking.  My brother, for reasons I won't go into, has decided to walk away from God.  His views are 180 degrees from what the rest of the family believes.  Because of this my sister has decided that she doesn't want to "associate" with him and is keeping her family away from him.  In our discussion she said that in the scripture God tells us not to associate with people who have turned their back on him, that we are not even to eat with them.  I told her that I didn't remember anything like that and that i would have to study up.  Her reasoning is that the "church" has taken the definition of God's love to an extreme and is accepting everyone and their views whether they believe in God or not.  I tend to agree with her on that point but still need to know where she is coming from in the disassociation of those who have turned away from God.

Thank you for those scriptures and I will look them up.
Report Spam   Logged
debomama52

God is in control!!

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32:59 pm »

So glad you could join us!!  I do not, right off hand, have a certain scripture to give to you.  I do however have some thing to say ( no kidding right guts lol).  He can never be convienced to return to the Lord if everyone turns their back on him.  Would Jesus do that?  I am not trying to cause any hard feelings or upset anyone!  I just feel that we all need to be more like Jesus, think more like He does, and act like He would.  I don't remember any written Word stating that we are to disassociate with those who have turned their backs on the Lord.  I will keep all in my prayers and also keep researching to find some answers for you!
Report Spam   Logged

May the Peace of the Lord be with you always! ~~Deb~~
tervana1

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:55:10 pm »

You received some good advice sis! And I'm sorry your family is going through this. It's a difficult circumstance but not one that's hopeless. So many times family's give up on each other simply because they feel that if you don't walk the way I walk or pray the way I pray then you have no place in my space. This stems from missunderstanding the Word and not having a merciful and tender spirit. Your brother needs you now more than ever. My goodness if our own family's cast us away then where does that leave us? Alone and unprotected from the attacks of the enemy.

Yes, we must separate ourselves from non-believers, or “sinners”. The lost have no place with the righteous. That at face value seems very easy, but when you look at it, there is far more to it than just separation. Yes, we should not allow ourselves to be grouped in and labeled with the wicked, yet we must not be afraid to speak boldly, and minister to them. We must be prepared to work with them. Jesus himself frequently dined with sinners. He did this not to be one of them, but to show them how to live. He wanted to offer them salvation, and a chance at a new life. Matthew 9:12-13 "On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”  We must realize that there is a difference between ministering to, and joining the non-believer. There should not be acceptance, but there should be on our part a willingness to associate. We are children of God, it is our place to help, not judge. We should try to direct, yet not hold ourselves as better than others. We should show the way, but not condemn. We must show love and compassion to all, just as Christ did. So yes, we should work very hard to keep ourselves from being grouped in with the lost of the world, yet we should have our hand out, offering to grab them, and lead them into the fold.

love,
terri
Report Spam   Logged

uoremom

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:10:13 pm »

That is exactly what I tried to tell her and it sounds like we are all on the same page here.  How can you "witness" to someone if you turn your back on them.  I don't condone the way he is living or the choices he is making but he is my brother and I won't turn my back on him just because of the choices he makes.  I have told him that I don't agree and that he will have to answer to God in the end but that I still love him as my brother.  I really hope that my sister comes to this understanding.

I would, however; still like to know what scripture she is referring to so I can put together my defense.
Report Spam   Logged
tervana1

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:21:07 am »

I think your sister may be talking about the following scriptures...

1Cr 5:9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people- not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

What most folks don't understand in this passages is that Paul is talking about the people that profess to be followers of Christ even though they are living a sinful life. These warnings don't apply to the lost or the troubled people that have backslidden or have fallen.

love,
terri 
Report Spam   Logged

kje123
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 07:24:52 pm »

Terri, you hit the nail dead on the head.
Report Spam   Logged

"When all else fails, read the instructions" 2 Timothy 3:16
delurad

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 08:20:04 am »

I would agree with Terri on what she quoted, but I wonder if your sister is citing 2nd Thessalonians, Ch.3 Vs.6 and 7.  I won't write it out, but would ask you to look it up. Bye and love, Dee.
Report Spam   Logged
uoremom

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 10:25:51 pm »

Thank you very much I think you may have found it for me.  Will have to  ponder on how to respond to her.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: