Bookmark and Share

Christ In Pogo Fellowship Ministry

We all need the affirmation of others and thus our faith can be strengthened through the bonds of love, caring and fellowship that have developed through this ministry. Basic spiritual and human values are shared together and subsequent friendships develop. Thank You Father for our brothers and sisters!

*Insert Awesome Forum Name Here*
March 28, 2024, 04:58:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Welcome to the 'Christ In Pogo' Fellowship Ministry Message Boards!  Please feel free to add new topics.  The New Topic button is found on the top right of the page on each of the boards.  And please feel free to reply to the posts already made!  We love the fellowship and value your ideas and input. Guests may read almost all boards but must first register to be able to post. To join us, fill in the short form located on the website at www.christinpogo.com/contact.htm  Our goal is to spread the Word of Christ with love and understanding.  We hope you make 'Christ In Pogo' your home and we look forward to knowing each and every one of you. 
God Is Blessing Us!  Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Reading one book

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading one book  (Read 214 times)
BaldEagle4Christ

« on: January 02, 2009, 04:04:11 pm »

Hey every one!
Yes it is the wonderful Kenny  smitten
I read through the whole bible this year and i loved it.
I learned some and still have allot too learn.

This year i want too Just study the book of John and the book of Mathew out for the year.
I am studing the boook of Mathew and found out that Many of the Jews missed the prophices that spoke of the King suffering and who would be Killed.
So they reallyu did not belive Jesus was the Messiah,all because the Jews miised the Prophiceis.
I am still learning and i want too get too know More of what  went on in Jesus time,  and why the Jews did what they did.
I have a Life application study bible here,and it is intertesting.
Any one ever Just study one book?
And if they had,what advice you have for me that can help me study the book?
I am going too take a class in how too do bible study.
But what are the some of the ways you studied the one book?
Any one?
Your brother in Christ,
Kenny
Report Spam   Logged

Repentance involves (Change),in your attitudes,your mind and in your action.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kje123
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:03:29 pm »

Hey Kenster. I can't say I have spent an entire year in a single book, but I have done exhaustive studies of induvidual books. The first thing is, do not limit yourself to the one book. All scripture must be viewed in light of all scripture, or you run an increased risk of taking something out of context. Check out any references towards other parts of the Bible. As you said, both Matthew and John (esp. Matthew) is chock full of Old Testament prophecy. Go back and reread those prophecies in their context. A few commentaries by your side wouldn't hurt either. When you are done with a book, it always helps to read an "opposite" book to regain your balance and help prevent overreacting to something you find. For example, one of my more recent studies was the book of Leviticus. When I was finished, the book of Hebrews served as a great counterbalance to make sure I wasn't overburdened by the law. A bit of grace goes a long way (especially to an occasionally pork eating Hebrew such as myself). Feel free to discuss discoveries you make along the way with your Christian friends. They can help you determine if you are on the right track, and discoveries will help lead you to deeper truths.

Enjoy your steak! (Heb 5)
Brian
Report Spam   Logged

"When all else fails, read the instructions" 2 Timothy 3:16
tervana1

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:46:54 am »

Excellent advice Bri! Like he said Kenny, it's important that after you read one book that you compare it to others. While scripture was given by God to the writers of the books, these writers were also men. They all had different styles and personalities. Where one would talk excessively about one topic, another may just skim over it. Your Bible probably has the scriptures printed in the center that correlate with the scripture you are reading in that particular book. This is one way of studying the Word. I wouldn't spend an entire year in one book Kenster. God has too much to say!   angel

love,
terri
Report Spam   Logged

"HE PERFORMS WONDERS THAT CANNOT BE FATHOMED, MIRACLES THAT CANNOT BE NUMBERED" 
Job 9:10
BaldEagle4Christ

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:53:27 pm »

Hey Brother Brian and sister Terrie. angel
I thank you for your Advice.
Gloiry of God came over me when i started reading Brian response,because he wants me too read all his words. Grin
I guess it will not be the same in Just one book . Wink
I will stick with my one yr bible reading here.
If any one wants too do a yearly bible reading?
Our church does it.
Here i have a web sight for the yearly bible reading.
Go too http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/
God bless you Brian and Terrie.
Brother in Christ,
Kenny
Report Spam   Logged

Buf1923

THE LORD IS MY REFUGE AND MY STRENGTH

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:41:28 am »

HI KENSTER,  I HAVE NOT REALLY STUDY ONE BOOK AT A TIME.  BUT I AGREE WITH TERRI AND BRAIN THAT YOU MUST USE YOUR SCRIPTURE REFERENCES TO CHECK OUT WHAT THEY ARE REALLY TALKING ABOUT.  I MYSELF HAVE MANY DIFFERENT BIBLES THAT I USE AND READ EACH ONE.  I USED MY NKJV AND MY AMPLIFIED AND ALSO USE THE LIFE APPLICATION BIBLE ALONG WITH THE CONCORDENCE.  ISN'T THE WORD OF GOD WONDERFUL AND SO FULL OF HIS MYSTERIES THAT HE WANTS TO SHARE WITH US.  I JUST REJOICE IN ALL THE WORD OF GOD REVEALS AND HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE FOR HIM.

GOD BLESS YOU BRO
LOVE YA
SIS IN CHRIST
JACKIE
Report Spam   Logged

Through Jesus Christ all things are possible.
BaldEagle4Christ

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:06:24 pm »

Hi there Jackie,
Thank you for your advice my friend.
I been trying too get in other bibles,but i belive we should stick with one bible,But i am seeing now with the encouragements of my brothewrs and sisters ,that reading other bible  helps me get a better idea in what meaning too the word are.
But the niv has really helped me understand allot.

I do hear though the KJV is really the main one we all should Look at because that is the oldest bible that came out.I been wanting too get my self a KJV now that i do understand allot of what the bible has too say.
What are every one opions in the bible in what they really should read?
 can any one  give me alittle tip on that.
Brother in Christ,
Kenny
Report Spam   Logged

debomama52

God is in control!!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 01:34:00 pm »

I like to have at least 2 different Bibles beside me while in study mode.  That way I get more than 1 interpretation.  It really helps me to understand or get the right meaning of the scripture I am reading.  I also have Strong's concordance (but am still trying to figure it all out lol).  God bless you all!
Report Spam   Logged

May the Peace of the Lord be with you always! ~~Deb~~
kje123
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:04:36 pm »

What Bible to use... that actually depends on the person. I know one pastor who actually gets his best studying out of a children's Bible. He's a good pastor too. Sometimes in its simplest English, the stories and truths found in the Word become more alive. I would say to find a reputable Bible that flows like the way you talk. Normally, when I talk and type, I tend to be very formal. The Bible that is closest to my style and vocabulary is the Holman Standard. Both my pastor and I recommend most people to use the NIV, or a form of the Living Bible, as they are easy to understand. As far as the KJV goes, (oh this could spark a debate) it is great from a poetical standpoint and adds a lot of beauty to God's word, but for 99.9% of Americans, it is impractical as a study Bible. If you like the flow and poetry of the KJV, may I suggest using the NKJV. It uses language closer to today's English, and therefore, is more likely to stick to your brain and make more sense. One Bible version that is absolutely excellent for deep study is a parallel Bible, so that you get multiple versions on the same page. I hope you find this helpful.

In His service,
Brian
Report Spam   Logged

CanuckLynn
Administrator

Where God is, love is!

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:45:28 am »

A children's Bible is what we use at work sometimes as it makes it much easier for everyone to understand, and I'll often pick up something I had missed before too! 

I've got a Zondervan's Bible Commentary Deb and I find myself in the same pickle as you with your Strong's concordance!  It's tough to understand it most of the time!  I need a dictionary to figure out all the big words!  Cheesy

love,
Georgie
Report Spam   Logged

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil- it has no point.

Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
debomama52

God is in control!!

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 11:19:59 am »

Oh yes Georgie  too funny, and that reminds me that I also have a Bible dictionary with me!  I usually study with NIV, KJ, Joyce Meyer's Amplified Everyday Life Bible, dictionary, Strong's Concordance, and my journal and pen near at hand.  It is quite a sight to see, when I am studying God's Word!!
Report Spam   Logged

May the Peace of the Lord be with you always! ~~Deb~~
Ljclaire

I Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 11:24:29 am »

Hi Kenny, there is a bible you can purchase that actually is 4 bibles in one.  easy to read and the scriptures for each one are on the same page so you can look at KJV, NIV, amplified and I think the other is American standard or living translation. We call it the 4 banger. LOL. It is always present at our bible studies.  Hubby takes it to work with him so I do not have it to tell you the name of it right now.  But it is a good one.

I am glad you are reading the word and seeking God.  That is what we all should do and a lot more of it as the times that we are living in are about to get a lot rougher.

Love ya Kenny, Laurie
Report Spam   Logged

II Chronicles 7:14 If my people who are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS; THEN  will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and heal their land.

Your sister in Christ,  Laurie
delurad

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 08:42:06 am »

Great suggestions here, Kenny Isn't it a great help in our walk to have these friends here at CIP to steer us in the right direction?  Love you, Mom Dee.
Report Spam   Logged
tervana1

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 09:44:12 am »

Hey Laurie...I have that Bible, it's called the Comparative Study Bible. It's huge but I love it.  smitten
Report Spam   Logged

BlondeChickInNC7

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »

I have the Tyndale Life Application Study Bible,King James Version myself and I just read the book of John.The footnotes at the bottom help explain alot but keep in mind something my brother (by blood lol) said to me....He said he didn't always agree with the footnotes (for the entire Bible not just the book of John) and to never take what the footnotes,which are a man's opinion of what the scripture means over the actual scripture which is The Word Inspired By God.
Report Spam   Logged
kje123
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 01:41:38 pm »

Good point there. Some of the footnotes are opinions, so be careful about the source of the notes. Others have scripture references, as many things Jesus said and principles He taught can be found in scripture in the Old Testament. Those are very important to catch, and help hold your studies in context before you end up chasing wild doctrines.

p.s. Blonde in NC; I've been missing your questions. Yours I particularly enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged

BaldEagle4Christ

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 05:02:17 pm »

Hey i enjoyed all of your comments and your learnings,and Mother Dee, yes it is great too have help from our friends here in cip,and i do not have too feel condemed,Judged for what i ask and every one Input.
I hope and pray it courages others too ask question because(We all) have too Learn!Amen?
I love my Life application bible,it really has helped me allot.
When reading each scriptures,i go too the bottom and read the commentary of what the scripture meaning is.
I understand each scripture better now.

Laurie it is great too hear from you,been awhile sis.And i do know what book you are talking about,my brother in Church has one,and it is huge and it has different bible in it too share meanings of it.Well it helps allot i belive and i want too get that bible you are talking about,but it is Huge  Shocked lol

Yes i am really in the bible even M0re then ever because i am getting a better ofunderstanding what the bile is talking about.
This next Sat. my church is having a class on bible method,in learning a better way of studying the bible.
Brother in Christ,
Kenny
Report Spam   Logged

tervana1

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:21 am »

Oh that sounds exciting Kenster. There are all sorts of neat ways we can learn to study the Bible. After all that's why God has annointed teachers amen? I agree with everyone about the different footnotes and commentaries that come with the different Bibles these days. All Scripture is God-breathed. Every single Word of it. Unfortunatly man has done a bang up job in confusing the Words He so perfectly gave us. A simple talk with the Holy Spirit before we read, will help in our discernment.

love ya's
terri
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: