Bookmark and Share

Christ In Pogo Fellowship Ministry

We all need the affirmation of others and thus our faith can be strengthened through the bonds of love, caring and fellowship that have developed through this ministry. Basic spiritual and human values are shared together and subsequent friendships develop. Thank You Father for our brothers and sisters!

*Insert Awesome Forum Name Here*
March 29, 2024, 05:04:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Welcome to the 'Christ In Pogo' Fellowship Ministry Message Boards!  Please feel free to add new topics.  The New Topic button is found on the top right of the page on each of the boards.  And please feel free to reply to the posts already made!  We love the fellowship and value your ideas and input. Guests may read almost all boards but must first register to be able to post. To join us, fill in the short form located on the website at www.christinpogo.com/contact.htm  Our goal is to spread the Word of Christ with love and understanding.  We hope you make 'Christ In Pogo' your home and we look forward to knowing each and every one of you. 
God Is Blessing Us!  Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Key To Knowing God

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Key To Knowing God  (Read 147 times)
tervana1

« on: April 24, 2009, 06:05:40 am »

Within all of us there exists a strong desire to be known and to know others. More importantly, all people desire to know their Creator, even if they are not professed believers in God. Today we are bombarded with advertising that promises many ways to satisfy our cravings to know more, have more, be more. However, the empty promises that come from the world will never satisfy in the way that knowing God will satisfy. Jesus said, "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent" (John 17:3).

So "What is the key to truly knowing God?" First, it is imperative to understand that man, on his own, is incapable of truly knowing God because of his sinfulness. The Scriptures reveal to us that we are all sinful (Romans 3) and that we fall well short of the standard of holiness required to commune with God. We are also told that the consequence of our sin is death (Romans 6:23) and that we will perish eternally without God unless we accept and receive the promise of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. So, in order to truly know God, we must first receive Him into our lives. “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name" (John 1:12). Nothing is of greater importance than understanding this truth when it comes to knowing God. Jesus makes it clear that He alone is the way to heaven and knowing God personally when He states, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me" (John 14:6).

There is no requirement to begin this journey outside of repenting of sin and accepting and receiving the promises mentioned above. Jesus came to breathe life into us by offering Himself as a sacrifice so our sins will not prevent us from knowing God. Once we have received this truth, we can then begin the journey of knowing God in a personal way. One of the key ingredients in this journey is understanding that the Bible is God's Word and is His revelation of Himself, His promises, His will. The Bible is essentially a love letter written to us from a loving God who created us to know Him intimately. What better way to learn about our Creator than to immerse ourselves in His Word, revealed to us for this very reason? And it is important to continue this process throughout the entire journey. Paul writes to Timothy, "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (1 Timothy 3:16).

Finally, truly knowing God involves our commitment to obedience to what we read in the Scriptures. After all, we were created to do good works (Ephesians 2:10), in order to be part of God's plan of continuing to reveal Himself to the world. We carry the responsibility to live out the very faith that is required to know God. We are salt and light on this earth (Matthew 5:13-14), designed to bring God's flavor to the world and to serve as a shining light in the midst of darkness. Not only must we read and understand God's Word, we must apply it obediently and remain faithful (Hebrews 12). Jesus Himself placed the greatest importance on loving God with all we are and loving our neighbor as ourselves (Matthew 22). This command is impossible to keep without the commitment to reading and applying His truth revealed to us in His Word.

These are the keys to truly knowing God. Of course, our lives will involve much more than just these few keys of truth, such as commitment to prayer, devotion, fellowship, and worship. But those can only follow making a decision to receive Jesus and His promises into our lives and accepting that we, on our own, cannot truly know God. Then our lives can be filled with God and we can experience knowing Him intimately and personally.
Report Spam   Logged

"HE PERFORMS WONDERS THAT CANNOT BE FATHOMED, MIRACLES THAT CANNOT BE NUMBERED" 
Job 9:10

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

debomama52

God is in control!!

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:21:58 am »

Thought I would add this, hope you don't mind Terri!  smitten
About knowing God hears you, Part 1 of 3…

Psalm 5:1-3 For the director of music. For flutes. A psalm of David. Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. (NIV)

Each of us can go past believing in God to actually knowing Him. We can take so much about God for granted. We can take our faith structure for granted. We can even take the fact our prayers are heard by God for granted. In faith and believing, we say our prayers. We then go on to the next day and we say our prayers with our prayer activity going on like this for months and years without ever really knowing God hears us. Each of us is no bigger than a mustard seed compared to all the other people on the earth. What are we when we are compared to all the contents of physical universe? Relatively speaking, we are nothing compared to all the contents of the universe. In physical terms, if we take all of the physical universe and compare the size of all of God's created physical universe to us, we are nearly invisible. Yet He hears us. God hears you when you pray. As small as you are, He hears you and He knows all about you. He knows about the numbering of the hairs on your head. When you come to know God hears you then a miraculous power of God flows down into our heart and life. God's miraculous power flows into your life when you come to "know" beyond any doubt God hears you…when you come to "know" you are not invisible to God but are fully known, fully heard, and fully loved by Him.
http://www.findthepower.com/dailydevotio...
Report Spam   Logged

May the Peace of the Lord be with you always! ~~Deb~~
debomama52

God is in control!!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:15:09 am »

About knowing God hears you, Part 2 of 3

Psalm 116:2 Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. (NIV)

Knowing God hears you when you pray is a miraculous gift God gives you because He loves you. This knowing…this total realization of how small you are, how big the universe is, and how God still hears you even when you are small…this "knowing" is a fantastic experience. In "knowing", you go beyond believing. In "knowing", you have a direct experience or direct contact with God. It is as if God was right next to you in person. In the spiritual reality of all that is, God really IS right next to you in person. Knowing God hears you gives you a power you do not normally have. Knowing God hears you gives you a confidence, a peace, a love, a wisdom, and a certainty about fulfilling God's goal and mission for your life. Knowing God hears you makes all the difference when you hit a difficult place in your life. Knowing God hears you can mean you put whatever is difficult aside. Knowing God hears you personalizes your relationship with Him because He is no longer just "up there", but He is over you, under you, beside you, and within you listening…and you know He is listening…and you know He knows you know He is listening.
Report Spam   Logged

debomama52

God is in control!!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:18 am »

About knowing God hears you, Part 3 of 3

Romans 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. (NIV)

In our faith journey, we need the experience of knowing God hears us. Who would want to talk to an unhearing God? Who would want to talk to God not really knowing, with full certainty, God is really and truly listening? The fact is, many people are not really sure, in a knowing kind of way, whether God hears them. We want God to hear us. We want to believe God hears us. But does He? Can we honestly testify God hears us with our testimony based upon our knowledge rather than upon our belief?

Once we know God is really and truly listening, what we pray for and how we pray can change in a dramatic way. Christ came to earth and then returned to Heaven as a live human being, a live human being who really and truly hears us when we talk to Him. If we spend more time in His presence, we can come to fully know He is listening. When we finally know He is listening we have passed over from believing to knowing.

Report Spam   Logged

Blainepyle88
Rep, Sgt. of Arms, & CEO.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »

thanks for the info!
Report Spam   Logged

Blaine E Pyle, Jr

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: