Bookmark and Share

Christ In Pogo Fellowship Ministry

We all need the affirmation of others and thus our faith can be strengthened through the bonds of love, caring and fellowship that have developed through this ministry. Basic spiritual and human values are shared together and subsequent friendships develop. Thank You Father for our brothers and sisters!

*Insert Awesome Forum Name Here*
April 20, 2024, 07:22:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Welcome to the 'Christ In Pogo' Fellowship Ministry Message Boards!  Please feel free to add new topics.  The New Topic button is found on the top right of the page on each of the boards.  And please feel free to reply to the posts already made!  We love the fellowship and value your ideas and input. Guests may read almost all boards but must first register to be able to post. To join us, fill in the short form located on the website at www.christinpogo.com/contact.htm  Our goal is to spread the Word of Christ with love and understanding.  We hope you make 'Christ In Pogo' your home and we look forward to knowing each and every one of you. 
God Is Blessing Us!  Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Woman at the Well

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Woman at the Well  (Read 143 times)
lillibet53

« on: January 08, 2010, 04:10:44 pm »

The Woman at the Well
(John 4:1-26)

Then Jesus said, "I who speak to you am he."(John 4:26)

The familiar story of Jesus' interaction with the Samaritan woman at Jacob's Well occurs in the very early days of the Lord's public ministry. Opposition to His work was already arising among the religious leaders of the day.Jesus, knowing the time for confrontation had not yet come, chose instead to return to Galilee.The route he chose, much to His disciples' dismay, took them through Samaria. Samaria! Good, observant Jews had nothing at all to do with Samaritans.In fact, the favoured route between Judea and Galilee took Jewish travelers across the river, up the other side, and then back again north of Samaria. Hundreds of miles out of the way just to avoid contact with these "idolators" who refused to acknowledge the Jerusalem Temple as the only proper place of worship.

It was noon, and Jesus and His companions had stopped to rest near a village named Sychar--the site of the famed Jacob's Well. His disciples had gone into town to buy food, and as it happened a woman came along to draw water. Right there, anyone versed in the culture of the times would know something was off; women normally came to the well in the early hours of the day to draw water for their daily household needs. THIS woman--we're not told her name--came at an hour when it was very likely no other women, and probably nobody else either, would be there. And what's the first thing Jesus does? The same thing any thirsty traveler might do--he asks her for a drink.

She then says the first thing that comes into her head. How could he--a Jew--associate with her, a Samaritan! And a woman at that! In those times, an observant Jewish male took great pains to avoid being alone with a woman not his wife or other relative.Besides, it's a deep well and Jesus has no cup or pail to draw up water with. It would be unheard of for a Jew to use a cup or dish that had been touched, much less used, by a Samaritan, after all.

She is bewildered, as we too might also be if in her place and time, when this stranger begins to speak to her of "living water". (verses 10-14).

She is, however, nothing short of astounded by what comes next. He asks her to go get her husband. We can imagine her blushes and downcast eyes as she tells him, "I have no husband". THEN comes the kicker. "You're right," says Jesus. "You have had five husbands, and the man you now live with is not your husband."

So here's the key to why the woman comes alone to the well, at a time when she's unlikely to hear the gossiping and see the heads shaking over her sinful, unseemly behaviour. She tells the Lord, "I can see you are a prophet....you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is Jerusalem."

To me, what Jesus says next is the keynote to this story, the reason why it's not just a "woman's story"  :

"...the time will come and has now come when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth...God is spirit, and His worshippers must worship in spirit and in truth." (from verses 21 through 24)

What can we, in our very modern era, in the  21st century, take from this story?

First of all, Jesus seized the moment that presented itself to witness to this woman. He didn't wait for Sunday, or a prayer meeting, or "just the right time, when she's ready".We too have to take those very ordinary moments of life, have to be ready when God opens the door.

Next, if we look at what happens after the woman goes back to the town telling all she meets, "Come meet this man who told me all I ever did and was", we're told that "many Samaritans believed". Here we have the famed "ripple effect". The single "stone" dropped into the water--Jesus's conversation with this woman at Jacob's Well--had a far greater result than just this single person coming to belief and faith. One tells another; that one tells 10 more; 10 become 20, 20 become 200.

We don't, and can't, know exactly the full result of our boldness to speak for our Lord. But this we know--we are called, all of us, not just those we designate as preachers or pastors, to speak.

In this way, we honour the Great Commission and show the world Who and what we believe.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:10:05 pm by lillibet53 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

CanuckLynn
Administrator

Where God is, love is!

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:46:17 pm »

I LOVE the message here Liz!  You stated, "We too have to take those very ordinary moments of life, have to be ready when God opens the door."  This statement reflects how each of us must live our lives 'daily'!  

A time, not so long ago, when I had my laser surgery for my eyes came to mind.  Because of the frequent visits afterward for check ups, the girls in the clinic and I got to know each other well.   Please know this is not to boast but for example only.  I was referred to as the 'happy' customer and was told by the surgeon that all the girls liked me!  It was easy to talk with them.  One day when the technician was doing a follow up, she asked me what I was doing on the weekend.  I responded with, "We have a games night at our church."  Simply stating the word 'church' began a conversation about God!  It was wonderful, and ended with us praying together!  I didn't know the impact this had on this young girl until Christmas when I received a Christmas card from her telling me that she'd found a church and was very excited with her new direction in life!  I was so touched, I got teary eyed!  God had taken a simple statement and used it as the 'door' you refer to in your message!  We should never hide God, and must live our lives to glorify Him at all times, and in every situation we face.  

The Gospel reveals God's astounding grace as an unconditional gift of love for all people, so why wouldn't we want to share it with others?  

You also said, "We don't, and can't, know exactly the full result of our boldness to speak for our Lord. But this we know--we are called, all of us, not just those we designate as preachers or pastors, to speak."  Amen Sister!!  When Jesus said, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.", He knew that we wouldn't see the fruits of our witnessing immediately.  Some plant, others water, and still others harvest!  We will know when we walk through the gates of Heaven and meet our beautiful Saviour, and He says to us, "Well done, my good and faithful servant"!  What an exciting thought!

Let us continually offer our sacrifice of praise to God by proclaiming the glory of His name!

Let everything that lives sing praises to the LORD!! Praise His precious Name!
Report Spam   Logged

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil- it has no point.

Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Tara5684

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:49:49 am »

Amen to the both of you...I cannot wait til my Lord says "Welcome Home tho good and faithful servant"... That will be a good home coming...I heard a preacher once preach during a church homecoming about the fact that it was not a homecoming we was celebrating it was a homegoing that was to be celebrated. We are heading home at Gods will and we need to be spreading Gods word now before we enter Heavens Gates. We have no need to hold in Gods love for us because He has plenty of love to go around. We need to tell everyone of His Love and Compassion so they might see the light before it is everlasting to late. Our God is a God of love, compassion and forgivness and He is willing to love each one of us individually and He has compassion for each one of us and He is willing to forgive anything that we have done as long as we ask for forgivness.

God Bless You
Your Sister In Christ
Tara
Report Spam   Logged

He alone is my rock and my savation, He is my fortress, I will never be shaken. (Psalms 62:2 NIV)
Tara Foster Smiley
lillibet53

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:24 am »

Been looking for this one for quite a while, and it fits this topic to a T.

Report Spam   Logged
Tara5684

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:00:29 pm »

I love this song it touches my heart every time I listen to it. I thank you Liz for finding it for us to listen to. I pray for this song to touch others as it has touched me.

Your Sister In Christ,
Tara
Report Spam   Logged

He alone is my rock and my savation, He is my fortress, I will never be shaken. (Psalms 62:2 NIV)
Tara Foster Smiley
CanuckLynn
Administrator

Where God is, love is!

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:10:30 am »

Wonderful wonderful song Liz!  As I sang along with the song, my heart was filled with an abundance of love and humbleness, that our precious Saviour would fill my cup, and make me whole...a sinner like me, who has done nothing to deserve the amazing love and compassion our Lord freely gives to all who come to Him!  Praise Him for all He has done and continues to do for each of us!! Hallelujah!!
Report Spam   Logged

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil- it has no point.

Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: